Tuesday, April 24, 2007

London

I arrived in London on Friday 20 April flying British Airways from Hong Kong to Heathrow. The flight wasn't too bad, I was seated next to a mother with two young children, probably aged around 4 and 2. I was dreading that they were going to yell, scream and cry the whole way to London but luckily for me after about an hour into the flight their mother managed to get them to sleep and as a result I also managed to sleep a bit too.

Arriving Heathrow very early morning I managed to get through Immigration and Customs without a worry, surprisingly quickly actually! I had prepared myself for long delays and strict procedures with the bottled liquid policies but I was through the arrival gates in no time :)

I was lucky enough to be picked up from Heathrow by Emm and Nathan and headed back to Emm's in Battersea (Clapham). Emm left for work so I pretty much had the day to myself to settle in and get my bearings. I was feelling a little sleepy that morning but was determined not to sleep. Advice from many people was so stay up as long as you can and try to align yourself with local time - by lunch time this was a struggle, especially for me being someone who likes to sleep (I'm sure Katie knows the feeling!!) but thankfully Emm was onto it and was calling me every hour to check up on me and make sure I wasn't napping! To get myself out and about to avoid the temptation of sleeping I headed into the city, taking my first overland and underground rides to Oxford Circus all by myself! Headed down Regent Street, made a quick visit to HSBC and Top Shop as well as a few shops along the way and then came home. Very proud of myself, didn't get lost!

So far I've been to visit my cousin Katrina in West Hampstead and Geoff and Adam in Tooting Broadway so getting a feel for what the London area is like.

I've registered with a few recruitment agencies in London and have met with them over the past few days. There are a few jobs that they have presented me with and at the moment I'm just taking some time to have a look at different jobs and assess what the market is like. Will keep you all updated with my progress.

Not too much planned for the rest of this week, unless there are jobs that I'm interested in going for and any interviews that may arise out of them. Looking forward to Friday when Dave and Vince arrive in London and hanging out with the boys.

No comments: