Monday, June 25, 2007

Scotland

I spent last week in Scotland, I got the train to Edinburgh and met up with Dave, Vince and Geoff. My contract with Bain finished up the week before so it was a nicely timed break from work and getting out of London for a change.

Scotland was awesome but with minimal darkness hours at night took a bit to get used to - With the sun going down around 10.30-11.00pm and coming up again at 4.00am, you can get heaps done with so many daylight hours but for people like me who enjoy their sleep it stuffs you up a bit!

Saturday night we spent in Glasgow with Dave's cousin Fiona and her boyfriend Keith, checked out the Glasgow nightlife, it was strange going into a bar at 10.30pm and it was still light outside and coming out again around 3.30am and the sun is coming up!

The boys had hired a rental car for their time in Scotland so it was a good way to travel around, they had already been in Scotland for a week before I arrived so they got to see more than I did but while I was there we managed to see St Andrews, St Andrews Castle, checked out the best Fish and Chip shop in Scotland in Anstruther, Edinburgh city, Edinburgh Castle, Dave and I climbed Scott Monument in Edinburgh for a great view of the city, Kirriemuir (birthplace of J M Barrie known as the creator of Peter Pan) and stayed for the majority of the week in For Far with Dave's Aunt and Uncle - Marion and Joe.

We drove back to London, stopping for a night in Liverpool. Big thanks to Dave who did all the driving (while I slept most of the way as I do on most trips!)

Scotland was well worth it and I'd like to get back there soon to see more! (Mark R - unfortunately I didn't get to try a Scotish deep fried Mars bar :( and we didn't quite get round to trying Haggis either - maybe next time ...)


Photos - http://picasaweb.google.com/njshew/Scotland?authkey=eZigYmYEh1s

No comments: